As part of the orientation to join MSF I was invited to
participate in a rather intense orientation session in Toronto in January. There is no way to teach someone all they
need to know about humanitarianism in two days no matter how intense. The scope was broad and the level of depth
was rather impressive for the time provided.
They packed thirty of us from all walks of NGO life into the office on
Spadina Avenue and put us through the paces. The group was roughly half
medical, nurses, doctors, pharmacists, epidemiologists (who are also docs) and
half non-medicos, logisticians, engineers who specialize in water &
sanitation, human resource officers and administrators led by a superb and very
experienced staff.
I was thrilled to share the “Welcome Days” experience with
my very good friend Michael, now an esteemed medical officer of health in
Saskatoon. After living together in
Nairobi for a summer eleven years ago in medical school we have been kindred
spirits since. Perhaps the bond was
forged on cross-country misadventures in northern Kenya enroute to utopian Lamu
or trekking back to Nairobi from Lake Victoria by means of dozens of mutatu
minibuses. It was a great surprise to
join together at the orientation around the corner from his first apartment in
Toronto.
I remember at one they showed a promotional video depicting
the work set to All Along the Watchtower a la Jimi Hendrix. It was hard not be inspired. We were going to kick ass and save lives. On the flight just as Gibraltar passed on my
right en en route to Bangui via Casablanca the same ballad came across my
headphones. In the context of being one
of the very few physicians in a country of 4 million people I am considerably
more apprehensive about what awaits.
To paraphrase the verses originally penned by Bob Dylan- I
hope there isn’t too much confusion, few reasons to get excited and that I am
able to get some relief.
No comments:
Post a Comment